RV Insurance

RV insurance provides protection if you cause injuries or damages to others, and can also cover the cost of damages to your vehicle if a covered incident occurs. You can choose from a variety of coverages that will differ depending on how you use your vehicle — recreationally or as a full-time residence. Coverages will also vary depending on how the vehicle is operated — if you’re driving a motorhome, for example, you’ll need separate liability coverage to stay on the road, but if you’re pulling a travel trailer, you will not need separate liability insurance because it’s transferred from your auto insurance policy while towing your travel trailer.

If you damage your RV or cause injuries to someone else (and/or their property), you can file a claim with your insurance provider. Depending on the incident that occurred, your insurer may pay for the losses or injuries up to your coverage amount.

There are some differences between RV insurance and traditional auto insurance. When you buy RV insurance, your insurer or agent will ask simple questions about you, your RV, and how often you use it. You’ll then select coverages to best protect you and your vehicle. Options include liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist, and even RV towing insurance. Generally, more coverage means a higher insurance premium.

The most important aspects of your RV insurance policy will be determined by how you use the RV. If you’re using it as a true recreational vehicle on an occasional basis, then your premium may be much lower than someone who lives in the RV full-time. It’s important to note that if your RV is a travel trailer towed by another vehicle, liability will be covered by your auto policy since the travel trailer is not a motorized vehicle. The following are standard coverages with most RV and motorized home policies:

  • Physical damage coverage: Comprehensive coverage protects your RV from theft, vandalism, windshield damage, acts of nature, rocks and debris kicked up by other vehicles, and accidents/impact with animals. Collision covers damage to your RV due to an accident, regardless of fault. Both types of coverage include a deductible.
  • Bodily injury and property damage liability: In most states, this is the only required coverage for motorhomes. This coverage pays for damage or injuries you cause while driving your motorhome and covers legal fees that may result from the accident. Travel trailers don’t require liability coverage because it’s provided by the vehicle towing the travel trailer.
  • Uninsured/underinsured property damage and bodily injury: If your motorhome is hit and damaged by a driver who isn’t carrying insurance or doesn’t have enough to cover the damage they’ve caused, uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage may pay to repair or replace it (up to your policy’s limits) and for injuries you suffer. Travel trailers don’t require this coverage because they are not motorized vehicles.
  • Medical payments: Medical bills, up to the limits you choose, may be covered for you and your passengers if you’re in an accident, regardless of fault. Coverage doesn’t apply to travel trailer policies.
  • Pest Protection: Some RV insurers, including Progressive, provide coverage for damage to motorhomes and non-stationary travel trailers from insects, birds, rats, and other rodents and vermin. A deductible typically applies, and older vehicles may not qualify for coverage.

RV insurance will typically not cover general wear and tear or damage from mold, fungi, or rot. Damage from earthquakes or floods may also be excluded, depending on how frequently the RV is used.